The Olympic Games will not be canceled. What the head of the WHO announced today and the fears that experts have about Covid
Confirmed coronavirus cases and concerns about the Delta variant led to suspicions that the Tokyo Olympics would be canceled again this year. But the head of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus at the press conference has confirmed that there will be no cancellation, as happened last year. He said the Games should be held, to show the world what can be achieved with the plan and the right measures in the conditions of the pandemic.
In his statement to the International Olympic Committee, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus considered the Tokyo Olympics a need for a celebration that the world needs.
"The Olympics have the power to unite the world, to inspire it and to show what is possible," he said.
The Olympic Games will start on July 23, where thousands of athletes, athletes and support staff are traveling to Japan. Concerns relate to the delta version of the virus as a total of 79 cases have been confirmed among Games participants.
However, the head of the WHO has said that the Games should not be judged on the number of cases with coronavirus, emphasizing that the elimination of the risk is impossible.
"A sign of success is ensuring that every case is identified, isolated and tracked in order to stop the chain of spread," he said.
The Olympic Games will be held this year without spectators, but health experts have spoken out against the organization. They say it could turn into a super virus-spreading event, given the people involved and their return to countries around the world.